Wednesday, April 30, 2014

family Articles, - Is this the best mahr in the world?

Hiba Ammar writes:
When my father proposed to my mother, he dedicated Surah Al-Imran,
which he memorized by heart, as her "Mahr" (dowry).
Many years later, when my husband proposed to me, my father told him
that he would have to memorize a surah of the Quran as my mahr. The
wedding would not take place unless I received my mahr.
I was asked to pick one of the surahs. I chose Surah Al-Noor, for all
the laws that surah contained within it and for the fact that it
seemed hard to memorize on my behalf.
Before our wedding day, besides being busy preparing for our "newlywed
nest", my husband was constantly memorizing Quran. The Quran did not
leave my husband's hand an entire month as he was memorizing the
surah.
A few days before our wedding day, my husband came to recite to my
father the surah which he had completed.
My father told him every time you make a mistake, you must start from
the beginning all over again :))
My husband began reciting Surat Al-Noor with his calm and gentle voice
in such a beautiful scene which I will never forget. My mother and I
would look at one another and would smile awaiting my husband to make
a mistake so he would have to start all over again and by that
increase my reward.
But my husband – may Allah bless him – had memorized the surah by
heart and didn't forget one single verse.
Once he finished my father hugged him and said to him: "Today I shall
marry my daughter to you, for you have fulfilled her mahr and your
pledge to me."
He didn't pay me a financial mahr… And we didn't buy gold worth tens
of thousands. He sufficed me with Allah's words as an oath/contract
between us.
The question is…. I wonder what surah my daughter will chose as her
mahr in the future?

--
/-
Published by NAJIMUDEEN M

╠▓╣ • • • • • • • ╠▓╣

No comments:

Post a Comment